A region for cheese
Rich pastures and an ancestral know-how are joined together to manufacture :
- The tomme of Savoy - the oldest Savoy cheese. The tommes taste are different from a co-operative to an other
- The Emmental with crude milk - a speciailty of the “Avant Pays Savoyard” area. It is famous for its fruity and luminous paste.
- The Savoy gruyere - without holes, its perfume is intense and paste consistent.
Of course, butter, white cheese, cream, and other cheese-making local specialities like the products labelised “Dent du Chat”, “Mont Granier”, cheese from Chartreuse.
Cattle-breeders, wine growers, producers are able to receive you in their farms. They invite you to discover a responsive and reasoned agriculture bound to its soil.
- The Saint Genis sur Guiers cake - a national reputation, this famous brioche cake with eggs, stuffed with praline. The recipe is more than hundred-year-old.
- The Savoy cake - been used for the table of the Dukes since XIVth century, its traditional making remains.
Other pastry making and specialities are proposed, like le Régal Savoyard, the Orangine, the Camisar, the Sabaudia...
- Jongieux vintages, Morestel and Monthoux (AOC)
- The balcony road who goes from the Chat pass to Monthoux offers beautiful point of view on Chevelu lakes and vineyards. On the spurs of “Mont du Chat” and of Charnaz, between Monthoux and Morestel, extends the most picturesque vineyard in the area : the Jongieux vintage.
- Dry and fruity white wine (containing Jacquère and Chardonnay).
- The « Roussette » (vintages Lonthoux and Morestel resulting from famous type of Altesse vine).
- Light red and rosé (Gamay, Pinot noir).
- Typified red wine (Mondeuse noire).
Some specialities from Savoy
The « diots » cooked in white wine
The fondue savoyarde
The polente with bacon